Sustainability is one of the ongoing challenges for practically all community radio stations and community media. It is many-faceted and complex, and needs to be a consideration and building block in all aspects of community radio/media life. Starting off with a clear vision and understanding of the community development desired is important along with a deep-rooted community ownership of the station engaging ‘all the communities within the community’.
De-constructing sustainability: What is it made of? What might impede it? [read more]
What is sustainability?
Sustainability means to keep going over a period of time. To endure and with resilience be able to absorb disturbance – of whatever nature – and remain viable.
Contact EMPOWERHOUSE for an identification of how you could move in the direction you want!
- Don’t begin the life of a radio with a studio and equipment!
- Ownership comes from doing it yourself!
- There is no such thing as a free volunteer!
- Prepare for constant change!
- A radio for all must be owned by all!
- A power tool can cause harm!
- Modesty and cleverness can get you far!
- Know – and show – what you can do!
- You are not alone!